With warmer weather on its way, it’s time to peel back the layers.
You know what that means, right?
It’s also time to reveal your Casper white sheen to the world…. Or is it?
We’re about to let you in on the ultimate post-winter beauty hack that’ll have you stepping out with a spring to your step and a sun-kissed honey glow so natural, you’ll probably start to believe it’s real yourself!
But, before you beeline in to the closest store and lather up; choose wisely, not all fake tans are alike.
If you have a closer look, you’ll see that a huge amount of fake tans out there are laden with synthetic chemicals; the type you don’t want anywhere near your skin if you’ve got the choice. Plus, they’ll totally give away your fake glow with their tell-tale fake tan smell.
Here’s just a few of the most commonly used tanning ingredients to avoid and why:
1. Synthetic DHA: Dihydroxyacetone, also known as DHA is responsible for the reaction that causes a temporary tanning effect on the skin. The concern with this ingredient is that the synthetic forms of DHA are often combined with chemicals that can weaken the skins surface, allowing for a quicker product absorption. The result? A fast-developing tan at the risk of soaking up the nasties too!
2. Parabens: They’re a widely used preservative with numerous studies to show they disrupt hormone function. You’ll find Parabens towards the end of the ingredients list. Tip: they’re basically any ingredient ending in ‘paraben’, so… methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben… the list goes on.
3. PEGs (Polyethylene Glycols): PEGs are widely used petroleum-based compounds. They thicken and soften the formula. The risk? During manufacturing, there’s huge concern around their exposure to carcinogens and other hazardous chemicals. There’s no easy way to know what process the PEGs have gone through so, why risk it?
6. Mineral Oil: Surprisingly, Mineral Oil is one of the key ingredients used in commercial moisturisers. You may also see it listed as white oil, paraffin oil or liquid petroleum. It’s used because it aids in spreading the product. But, it’s cheap and can also block your pores.
Looking at ingredient labels can be daunting, particularly when half of the names are unpronounceable. But don’t worry, that’s why we’ve created this guide.
Where can you find a healthier fake tan?
The good news is, we’ve made it easy and right now, you’re pretty close to it. It’s called Gradual Tanning Moisturiser. You should check it out - it’s pretty awesome
1. We don’t use nasty synthetic chemicals so you can rest assured your skin won’t feel stripped after applying it. In fact, it should feel quite the opposite thanks to the nourishing oils of Apricot Kernel, Olive, Coconut and Borage.
2. We use naturally-derived DHA. This means it simply reacts to the top layer of the skin to create a browning colour. The upside? It doesn’t absorb into the bloodstream.
3. We don’t use any synthetic dyes, so no more staining to your clothes and bed sheets.
4. We don’t use any fragrances! The subtle scent is simply a combo of the natural ingredients that makeup the product.
5. It’s actually a moisturiser as well! We used our Serene Skin Moisturiser as a base formula so you can say hello to hydrated, nourished skin with an added bonus of long lasting, golden glow.
Keen on a cool fact?
The browning effects of DHA were first discovered back in 1930 during attempts to treat diabetes with oral doses of DHA. Huh? Yep. Results from the trial found a secondary effect of a deep yellow colouring to the gums, followed by browning of the skin when the substance accidentally came into contact with it!! (We may be hippies; but we’re so grateful for science).
How about our top tip for nailing your faux glow?
Exfoliating prior to tanning is crucial as it keeps our skin revitalized by removing old skin cells which allows the ingredients direct access to the skin. The result? A blotch-free, golden glow! Lucky for you, we’ve done the hard work and created the perfect match with our Pink Clay & Pumice Exfoliating Bar.
Need more convincing? Check out the Reviews from a few of our fellow hippies!